Lava Flow Drink Recipe
A Lava Flow Drink is a creamy, tropical beverage with key flavors like pineapple and spiced rum.
In our Lava Flow recipe, we blend flavors like pineapple, coconut, and spiced rum for a frozen, smoothie-like drink perfect for summer. You can check out our recipe below, or if you want to see another creamy dessert cocktail, try our Key Lime Colada!
How to Make a Lava Flow
Making a Lava Flow drink is simple, even though the ingredients list seems long. For this recipe, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- pineapple juice
- cream of coconut
- Spiced Rum
- 151 Rum (optional)
- Pineapple Wedge (for garnish)
- Lime Wheel (for garnish)
If you don’t have all of the ingredients, that’s okay! You can substitute with something close or skip the ingredient altogether. But remember, the key ingredient is spiced rum, so you don’t want to leave that out.
For this recipe, you’ll need a blender to combine all of the ingredients. Because many ingredients are not frozen, you won’t need an expensive, high-quality blender. But you’ll need one that will be able to pulverize all the ice completely.
We recommend serving this cocktail in a hurricane glass (the glass that is pictured). If the presentation doesn’t matter to you, and you’re more concerned with keeping your drink cold, you can also use any large, insulated glass.
To make a lava drink, put all of the ingredients that aren’t used for garnish in a blender, and blend everything until there are no ice chunks left and the drink is creamy.
- 6 oz Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum
- 10 oz frozen strawberries
- 8 oz pineapple juice
- 8 oz cream of coconut
- 2 cups crushed ice
- 4 wedge Fresh Pineapple garnish
- 1 wheel Lime Optional
- 1/2 oz 151 proof rum Optional
- Combine Spiced Rum and strawberries.
- Blend until pureed and then transfer to a clean pitcher.
- Clean and wash out blender.
- Add pineapple juice, cream of coconut, and ice to the blender.
- Blend until smooth
- Spoon 1 oz strawberry rum puree into each of the 4 serving classes. Slowly add 1oz of pineapple coconut mixture to the glass.
- Continue alternating Strawberry and pineapple coconut until all the mixtures are used.
- Garnish with a pineapple wedge.
- (Optional) Carefully place a lime wheel on top of the drink. Float the 151 proof rum on top of the lime wheel and carefully light it on fire ... NOTE: Ensure that the flame has completely gone out before drinking. Never Drink while there is still a flame!
As always, drink responsibly and don’t drink and drive!