Key Lime Colada Drink
If you’re a fan of both piña coladas and key lime pie, you have to try our Key Lime Colada! This refreshing, creamy cocktail combines both of these tropical flavors.
If you think that piña coladas are a bit too sweet, our key lime piña colada has a hint of citrus rum cream that perfectly balances the sweet and sour flavors. We recommend using Blue Chair Bay Key Lime Rum Cream, but if you have regular key lime rum, be sure to read the notes to see how to substitute!
This Key Lime Colada is a perfect summertime cocktail, but if you want to switch it up, try out one of our other dessert cocktails, like our Dirty Monkey Drink!
Key Lime Colada Recipe
The ingredients list might seem long, but remember that the garnish ingredients are optional! To make a key lime colada as pictured, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- pineapple juice
- orange juice
- cream of coconut
- coconut rum
- key lime rum cream
- maraschino cherry (for garnish)
- lime wheel (for garnish)
- shredded coconut (for garnish)
To make this cocktail, you’ll need a blender to combine the liquid ingredients with the ice. Because the finished drink will be thick, you’ll want a high-quality blender to be able to get the right consistency.
We recommend serving this key lime colada cocktail in a hurricane glass (pictured). But if the presentation doesn’t matter to you, any glass will do. If you want to keep the drink frozen longer, consider getting an insulated glass or tumbler.
If you don’t care about making the drink look pretty, the easiest way to make this drink is to blend all non-garnish ingredients.
But if you impress your guests, try making this cocktail look fancier with the garnish ingredients. Rim your hurricane glass with cream of coconut, and then dip it in some shredded coconut flakes. After you pour in the blended ingredients, top it off with a maraschino cherry and place a lime wheel on the edge of the glass.
- 1 oz pineapple juice
- 1 oz orange juice
- 1 oz cream of coconut (plus more for garnish)
- 1 cup ice
- 1/2 oz coconut rum
- 2 1/2 oz Key Lime Rum Cream Recommended Brand: Blue Chair Bay
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut (for garnish)
- 1 maraschino cherry (for garnish)
- 1 lime wheel (for garnish)
- Pour all ingredients that are not for garnish into a blender (Key Lime Rum Cream*, coconut rum, pineapple juice, orange juice, coconut cream, and ice)
- Blend until smooth.
- Place 1 oz of coconut cream on a shallow plate and roll the rim of a hurricane glass in it.
- Place shredded coconut on another shallow plate, and dip the glass's rim in the coconut to coat it.
- Pour the blended mixture into the glass.
- Place a cherry on top and a lime wheel on the edge of the glass.
If you love the Blue Chair Bay brand as much as we do, head over to their site to see all the flavors they offer!
As always, drink responsibly and don’t drink and drive!