Old Fashioned Recipe
The original classic of cocktails. Follow this Old Fashioned Recipe and treat yourself after a hard day.
How to make an Old Fashioned?
Making this cocktail is much more than just following an Old Fashioned Recipe.
To make this old fashioned cocktail, you will need just a few ingredients. As with any recipe, you can omit the garnishes, but the high-quality bourbon is a must.
- High-End Bourbon (Makers Mark, 1792, Jefferson’s are all good choices)
- Sugar (Homemade simple Syrup will also work)
- Maraschino Cherry (Highly recommend Luxardo)
- Orange Peel
No equipment is necessary for this Old Fashioned Recipe—just a couple of nice-looking lowball or whiskey glasses.
Following the recipe steps is a must for this cocktail. If not, the sugar won’t dissolve properly, and your drink will have a gritty texture to it unless you are using simple syrup. This is also one of the few drinks that you do not want to put in the ice first.
Start by adding the white sugar to your glass and add in warm water. The warm water will help to dissolve the sugar. Stir the sugar water with a cocktail spoon until it is completely dissolved.
And in the bourbon and then the bitters. Again mix gently with your spoon until everything is blended.
At this point, you want to add your ice. Any high-quality ice will work. We love to use large clear ice in our old-fashioned recipe as shown in our pictures. Not only will it slow down the dilution of your cocktail, but it also gives a fantastic appearance. We use the Ticent Whiskey Ice Ball Molds. You can purchase one below.
Now to enhance the flavor more, twist an orange peel into the cocktail. If there is a little bit of juice, that makes it been better. Carefully place your maraschino cherry in the drink and serve.
We highly recommend using Luxard Cherries in this Old Fashioned Recipe. They are the king of maraschino cherries, and you can even add a little of the syrup for the final flavor.
If you are looking for another great tasting cocktail, be sure to try our Blackberry Moscow Mule!
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 3 dashes Angostura bitters
- 1 tsp water
- 2 oz bourbon Top Shelf
- 1 Luxardo Cherry Any Maraschino cherry will do
- 1/2 tsp Luxardo Cherry Syrup
- 1 orange peel Garnish
- 1/2 cup ice Or a single large cube
- Add the sugar, bitters, and water into a whiskey glass
- Stir until sugar is nearly dissolved.
- Fill the glass with large ice cubes, add the bourbon, and gently stir to combine.
- Twist the orange peel to release the oil and drop it in the glass as a garnish.
- Gently add the cherry to the glass and drizzle the syrup on top.
If you loved this Old Fashioned Recipe, be sure to leave a rating and comment below. Feel free to include a picture of the cocktail you made and any variations to the recipe.
Looking for something a little more tropical? See our fruity summertime cocktail recipes!
As always, drink responsibly, and don’t drink and drive!